One-Room Schoolhouse ~ Travel back in time and see how students were taught and what it was like to attend school in the 1890s. Present-day students and small groups may take part in a living history experience by stepping back in time and enrolling in the school for a one-half or one-day opportunity. Located at 3rd and Nebraska in Murdoc. 402-867-2545 OneRoomSchool.weebly.com/index.html
St. Stephen’s Catholic Church ~ The first St. Stephen’s Catholic Church was built in 1874. The present Romanesque church building dates from 1902 and has undergone many renovations and restorations. Original to the interior are the altars and the stained-glass windows. “Thomas” and “Paul,” the bells in the church tower, are still in use.
Exeter Mural ~ The Exeter Mural is a representation of downtown Exeter around 1900 and was created by Greg Holdren, an artist from Friend, Neb. Adjacent to the mural which depicts a fire truck en route to a fire is the historic marker for the founding of Exeter.
Historic Marker 278: 1879 Exeter 1979 ~ The first settler in Exeter Township, Fillmore County was Warren Woodard, who built the first house in 1870. The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad building westward determined Exeter’s location in 1871.
Fairmont Army Airfield ~ The historic Fairmont Army Airfield, located 2 miles south of Fairmont, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. Visitors can walk the runways, see the hangars, and view a model of the airfield as it appeared during WW II.
Union Soldier Monument ~ Located in the park just south of the Fillmore County Museum. The Union Soldier Monument was dedicated on June 26, 1910, and restored and rededicated in 2001 to all who have served.
Manning Grain ~ Located at 4 Burress Road, Manning Grain was once a trade center for 75 people in the 1920s. The first railroad was built there in 1887. Dances were held in the depot until a dance hall was built in 1937. It wasn’t unusual for more than 500 people to attend dances there until the bands became too big and the prices too high. The last dance was held in 1949 and now the hall holds grain.
Historical Marker 381 ~ Fairmont Army Air Field, on U.S. Highway 6, east of Fairmont, was one of 11 Army Air Force training fields built in Nebraska during World War II.
Historical Marker 360 ~ Fairmont Army Airfield, on U.S. Highway 81, is located 2 miles south of Fairmont. Construction began on the Fairmont Army Air Field September 17, 1942, and crews worked around the clock. It was one of 11 Army Air Force training fields built in Nebraska during World War II. It was deactivated in 1945.
Historical Marker 309 ~ 601 6th Ave. The Fairmont Creamery Company was incorporated March 29, 1884, as a stock company by Wallace Wheeler and Joseph H. Rushton. This building was the original offi ce and the creamery was half a mile east of town.
Eddie’s Station ~ The Potash Highway, now known as “G” Street, went past this 1922 vintage gas station in downtown Geneva. The building has been restored and creates a great photo opportunity, especially for classic car enthusiasts.
Fillmore County Courthouse ~ Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, the newly renovated Fillmore County Courthouse was first completed in 1894. A simplified version of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the courthouse provides a sense of the history and permanence of the county’s heritage. It serves as a focal point for the historic downtown and is surrounded on three sides by unique shops and small cafes.
George W. Smith House ~ The Queen Anne-style house was built in 1890 by Geneva settler George Smith whose loan office was the predecessor of the First National Bank of Geneva. From 1925 to 1942, the house served as a hospital. National Register of Historic Places
J.M. Burk House ~ The J.M. Burk House was built in 1891 for J.M. and Minnie Burk, who moved from Seward County to Geneva to open a hardware business. Three fireplaces, three stained-glass windows, and five sets of 6-by-8 foot pocket doors are its special features. National Register of Historic Places
Dempster Woods ~ The 1888 Dempster Woods Italianate-style home was built by John A. Dempster, a Civil War veteran from Illinois, who homesteaded near Ohiowa and served in the Nebraska House of Representatives. The home has tin ceilings, fireplaces, hardwood floors, stained-glass windows, and an acre of woods for walking.
Geneva Auditorium ~ Built in 1915, the Geneva Auditorium served as the city hall and opera house. The building is now used for live performances and on weekends volunteers transform the stage into the Rialto II movie theater.
St. Helena’s Catholic Church ~ The original St. Helena’s Catholic Church was built in 1880. In 1922, the church was sold and moved to make way for its replacement. On September 10, 1923, the new St. Helena’s was ready for worship. Stained-glass windows from Italy were added in 1927. The church was refurbished in 2000.
Blue River Bridge ~ The Blue River Bridge has been identified as one of the 99 historically significant bridges in the state by the Nebraska State Historical Society. Located 6 miles northwest of Grafton, it was designed in 1918. National Register of Historic Places
Cesky Bratri Cemetery and Pioneer Chapel ~ Two miles west of Milligan along Highway 41. The earliest gravestone dates to 1876. Passing wagon trains left older, unmarked graves. The Pioneer Chapel, built in 1874, was the first Catholic Church in Fillmore County. It was moved to the cemetery in 1901.
The Milligan Auditorium ~ All concrete, masonry, and steel structure, built in 1929. It is one of 10 halls built by liberal Czechs from 1920-60 and the only one built by an association of organizations. It was a popular social gathering place during WW II, and today. National Register of Historic Places
The Blizzard of 1888 Historic Marker 247 ~ One of the most spectacular and harrowing events in the history of the Great Plains was the Blizzard of January 12, 1888. Marker on Highway 41 Northeast of Milligan.
Two B-24 “Liberators” Crash Historic Marker 475 ~ On October 25, 1943, four B-24 “Liberator” bombers from the Fairmont Army Air Field were flying in formation when two crashed together killing 17 soldiers. Marker is located on Nebraska Highway 41, northeast of Milligan.
BT-13B “Valiant” and P-47D “Thunderbolt” Crash Historic Marker 476 ~ In 1944, an instructor pilot in a BT-13B and a student and a P-47 pilot had a mid-air crash, killing the student and the P-47 pilot. The marker is located on Nebraska Highway 41, Northeast of Milligan.
“Thunderbolt” Historic Marker 474 ~ This marker commemorates the 1944 crash of a “Thunderbolt” fighter from the Bruning Army Air Field with a B-17 “Flying Fortress” bomber. Both planes exploded and seven soldiers died. The marker is located on Nebraska Highway 41, northeast of Milligan.
Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church ~ This Lutheran church, located three miles southwest of Ohiowa, has a strong German heritage. The first church building was built in 1888 and replaced by the current church in 1917.
Ohiowa Auditorium (Historical Marker 460) ~ A community landmark, Ohiowa Auditorium was completed in 1940 and preserved in near original condition. It is one of many Nebraska buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Great Depression. During WW II the auditorium served as an entertainment center for soldiers from the nearby Bruning Army Airfield. It now serves as the community center.
Stockholm Swedish Lutheran Church ~ National Register of Historic Places-Marker 399. The church, built in 1900 at a cost of $3,549, has a 70-foot steeple and Gothic Revival detailing. Its red roof can be seen for miles. Inside hangs a large painting by Professor Oloaf Grafstom. Two and one-half miles west of Shickley.
Strang School ~ The Strang School is a two-story brick building built in 1929-30 in a simplified version of the Renaissance Revival-style. The last senior class to graduate was in 1951 but it continued to be used as a grade school until the 1990s. National Register of Historic Places
Strang Windmill ~ This village was named when A.L. Strang, an Omaha windmill dealer, gave the town its fi rst windmill. A windmill still sits in the middle of the principal intersection on Main Street.
The Bell Prairie Township Hall ~ Built in 1911 and became the official place to cast your ballot and was the meeting hall for village groups. National Register of Historic Places
The Town Jail ~ Built in 1907, it was used by the constable and served as the village office. Drunks from the local saloon were housed there overnight. National Register of Historic Places
Homestead National Monument of America ~ Explore this National Park. Interactive exhibits, tallgrass prairie, pioneer school, cabin, and special events chronicle immigration, migration, and American Indian cultures of an America forever altered by the Homestead Act. An award-winning film, “Land of Dreams” is shown at the Heritage Center along with museum exhibits. At the Education Center are farm implement displays and ever-changing special exhibits. 2013 will be commemorated as “The Year of the Homesteader,” as it was 150 years ago (in 1863) that people could first stake claims to a free homestead under the Homestead Act. For more information, call (402) 223-3514 or visit www.nps.gov/home. Or visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HomesteadNM
Veterans Memorial Park ~ Dedicated to the military men and women of the United States who have served our country. The Memorial Plaza was created using five points of the star to symbolize the branches of the military. Ten “Walls of Honor” provide the backdrop for historical images, information, and a lasting tribute to those veterans.
Yesterday’s Lady ~ Located in the heart of downtown Beatrice, this building boasts and collection of vintage clothing spanning nearly two centuries, from the early 1800s to the 1960s. Susan McLain (aka “Yesterday’s Lady”) is the proprietor of the beautifully restored 1887 has been collecting vintage clothing since 1985. She hosts vintage fashion programs by appointment on the road, as well as private parties and tours at her shop 5th Street Vintage. (402) 223-5121 Yesterday’s Lady.net
The Beatrice Public Library ~ Host facility for the Nebraska State Genealogical Society collection. This includes more than 3,000 items of interest to genealogists with Nebraska roots. In addition, the library houses bound volumes of D.A.R. Lineage Records and part of the collection of the Southeast Nebraska Genealogical Society. (402) 223-3584
Blue Springs Cemetery ~ Founded in 1860, the cemetery is regarded as the oldest recorded cemetery in Nebraska. For maps and details, visit BlueSpringsNE.com
Filley Stone Barn ~ Listed on the National Historic Register and owned by Gage County Historical Society, this limestone barn built in 1874 is the largest limestone barn in Nebraska. Living history demonstratins are held at the barn in October, and special group tours are also available. The exterior may be viewed at any time. Located two miles south of Filley, at 13282 East Scott Rd. GageCountyMuseum.info/filleystonebarn.html
The Old West Trails Center ~ Located in a restored 1885 limestone bank on Main Street, the center features interpretive stories on the growth of the area and the influence of the railroad, historic trails, and highway. (402) 766-3700 www.visitodell.com
Four-Corner Survey Marker ~ Located on the 6th Principal Meridian and 40th Parallel, this landmark was used in 1856 to legally describe Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota from this point west of the Missouri River. The marker can be reached by taking Highway 8 west to Reynolds, then turning south to Mahaska, KS. From here, it is one mile west and one mile north of Mahaska, KS.
Diller Opera House ~ Built in 1912-13 by Anna Diller, daughter-in-law of Samuel Diller, for whom the town was named, the Opera House stands on Diller’s main business street. The three-story brick building was designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style. The second level of the opera house has a raked floor, balcony, and orchestra pit. The walls and ceiling display stencil work and free-hand painting by Danish immigrant artists Charles Hansen and James Willer. Today the Diller Opera House Society owns the building so that it can be preserved and used by the community for wedding receptions, celebrations, and meetings. More information is available by contacting C & C Food Mart and Processing at 402-793-5820.
Endicott Clay Products ~ Beehive Brick Kilns. Providing both a historical and economic impact to Jefferson County, Endicott Clay Products manufactures and ships bricks around the world. Artists also create brick murals and brick art for customers. Located across the Little Blue River south of Endicott and tow miles west. 402-729-3315.
District 10 School Museum ~ The grounds of this old country school displays monuments to the Oregon Trail, Pony Express, and Mormon Trail. Located a half mile west and one mile southwest of Alexandria State Lakes, northwest of Fairbury. Visitors may contact 402-729-5131 for more information.
Fairbury City Museum ~ Delve into the past of Jefferson County and take a walk through history by viewing many old-time displays. Located at 1128 Elm Street, tours are welcome. Open Saturday and Sunday 1:00-4:00 p.m. Call for tours 402-671-6879 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fairbury’s Historic Downtown Square ~ The historic downtown square offers fine dining, art galleries, and antique shopping. At the heart is the hand-cut limestone Jefferson County Courthouse built in 1891. It’s surrounded by an array of architectural styles and forms that were popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Jefferson County Courthouse ~ Built in 1891 from hand-cut limestone. Situated on a square in downtown Fairbury, the building also features ceramic-fronted fireplaces in some offices and unique antique furniture in the courtroom. Newly renovated statues stand on top of the courthouse on three sides. Open 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. on weekdays 402-729-6818
Smith Lime Kiln ~ A rare glimpse into early masonry manufacture unfolds at the limestone house, built in the early 1870s by W.C. Smith, who procured calcined lime for building purposes in a nearby kiln. Located north of Fairbury on River Road, displays in the house depict lime burning and its uses. Open summer Sunday afternoons 2-4 P.M. 402-729-5131
The Rock Creek Station State Historical Park is home to a Pony Express Station, a toll bridge on the Oregon Trail, a visitor’s center, and the legend of “Wild Bill” Hickok. The recreation area has hiking and horse trails, RV and primitive camping. A state park permit is required. (402) 729-5777
The McDowell’s Rose Creek Mausoleum ~ Part of Rose Creek Wildlife Area, the mausoleum is located southwest of Fairbury. It’s the work of resident Nelson L. McDowell, who spent a decade carving the two-room mausoleum with a hammer and chisel. He died in 1937 and is buried in the Fairbury Cemetery. (402) 729-3000
The W.C. Smith House and Lime Kiln ~ Located northwest of Fairbury. The 1872 stone house features exhibits explaining the history of the lime-burning industry and the kiln itself. Open 2-4 p.m. on Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. (402) 729-5131
Steele City Historical District ~ The past comes alive in a stroll through this historic village. Visitors can check out a restored 1880s stone church and a 1900 stone blacksmith museum. Open by appointment. Call 402-729-5131. The annual Steele City Flea Market each fall provides an excellent opportunity to take advantage of great antique finds and the scenery.
Tri-County Oregon Trail Monument ~ This marker is located five miles east and two miles south of Steele City. It offers a legend of the Oregon Trail through Washington County Kansas and Gage and Jefferson County Nebraska.
Cook was first known as “The Artesian City” because of the numerous artesian wells in the area. One of the wells is located in Windmill Park just west of town. The park also features the only covered bridge in Johnson County.
The Tecumseh downtown historic district was the first town in Nebraska to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1958. The area includes approximately five square blocks and is a fine example of a late 19th century county seat. The best known landmark is the Johnson County Courthouse built in 1888. Tecumseh was also home to an opera house and a Carnegie Library.
First Rural Mail Delivery in Nebraska ~ Tecumseh Post Office at 484 Broadway. Tecumseh was the site of the First Rural Mail Delivery in Nebraska on November 7, 1896, and second in the United States. Information is on display in the Post Office, and a sign in front designating the historic event was installed in July 2007, 111 years after the event.
Keim Stone Arch Bridge ~ Three miles east and one mile north of Tecumseh on Highway 136. The Nebraska State Historical Society placed the Keim Stone Arch Bridge on the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1992. The bridge was built in 1916 by a prominent local bridge builder, the Keim Cement Company. It is a rare, well-preserved example of early 20th century stone bridge construction and the only surviving stone bridge built by the Keim Company.
Courthouse Square ~ A Civil War Soldier Memorial Statue was erected in memory of all soldiers and sailors of Johnson County by the Heckathorn Post No. 47, Nebraska GAR in 1903. A replica of a World War I cannon was erected in memory of the USS Maine, which was destroyed in Havana Harbor on February 15, 1898. The cannon is a replica because the original cannon was called up in World War II to be used as scrap metal. The plaque placed on the memorial was originally cast from the metal of the USS Maine. A bandshell was erected on the southeast corner of the courthouse square after World War II in memory of those from Johnson County who made the ultimate sacrifice. Their names are listed on a plaque, which is located on the bandshell.
Colonel Barney Oldfield Exhibit ~ 175 South 3rd Street. Depicts the life of Tecumseh native Col. Barney Oldfield. Barney was a publicist, Hollywood columnist, public relations assistant to Dwight Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan and mentor to boxer George Foreman. In 1997, 7 miles of U.S. Highway 136 from Tecumseh east to the Johnson County line was designated as the Colonel Barney Oldfield Memorial Highway, and a sign designating the birthplace of Barney was installed at the intersection of Highway 136 and Highway 50. In 2012, each member of the year 2000 Kindergarten class of Johnson County Schools received $1,000 from the Kinman/Oldfield Family Foundation when he/she graduated from high school, a gift from Colonel Barney Oldfield. A total of 88 seniors were so honored.
Brandon Parkway Fountain ~ The Brandon Parkway Fountain, located in front of the community building, has been restored and honors Judge H. W. Brandon, who donated the land on which the Community Building is located. For several years, a beautiful park was located in back of the Community Building and people would walk from there down to the railroad tracks located directly south.
Legion Memorial Park ~ Hwy. 75 & 10th Street is the site of the Nemaha County Veterans Memorial, dedicated May 30, 2011. The names of more than 1,000 veterans are carved into the black granite on one side, and murals depicting scenes from the Civil War to present times are on the opposite side of the granite tablets.
Auburn Post Office ~ Located at 1320 Courthouse Avenue, it is on the National Register of Historic Places and features a painting in the lobby by the artist Ethel Magafan, titled “THRESHING.” This is one of 12 paintings in the State of Nebraska that was commissioned by Franklin D. Roosevelt as a WPA project.
State Historical Marker for the Half-Breed Tract ~ One mile east of Auburn on Highway 136 is a State Historical Marker for the Half-Breed Tract. This tract was located between the Great and Little Nemaha rivers. It was the custom for many early fur traders to marry into Native American tribes. As the Native Americans ceded their lands, the rights of the half-breed descendants were not always identified. This situation was recognized by the government in 1830 by the Prairie Du Chien Treaty, which set aside a tract of land for the half-breeds of the Oto, Iowa, Omaha, and Santee Sioux Tribes.
Situated at the edge of the heartland prairie, the historic Village of Brownville, founded in 1854, is located on the tree-covered, picturesque rolling Loess Hills overlooking the 1804 Lewis & Clark campsite on the Missouri River. Designated a National Historic District, Brownville is celebrating 158 years of American history as a pioneering gateway to opening the West. This scenic frontier river town, abundant with wildlife, showcases the culture and natural beauty of the Missouri River Basin region, providing historical, educational and recreational opportunities.
Carson House ~ The Carson House was originally built by Richard Brown, founder of Brownville. In 1864, it became the home of John L. Carson, an early Nebraska banker. Mr. Carson’s daughter, Rose, bequeathed the house to the Brownville Historical Society upon her death in 1966. Hours open: Saturday and Sunday 1-4 p.m., May through October. (402) 825-6001
Bailey House ~ The house is built of brick manufactured in one of the three brick factories in early Brownville. It is unique in that it originally stood near the Missouri River. When the river began to change its course and endanger the house, it was disassembled in 1877 and moved brick-by-brick to its present location on Main Street. Captain Bailey was a Civil War captain. Hours open: Saturday and Sunday from 1-4 p.m., May through October. (402) 825-6001 or toll free at (877) 559-6005.
Dr. Surgeon’s Dental Office ~ Recreation of an early 20th century dentist office open and free to the public weekly.
Julian ~ Julian was settled by a sizeable number of French immigrants who organized the St. Bernard Catholic Church in 1881. Julian still has a heritage of the French immigrants shown in the St. Bernard’s Catholic Cemetery and the Lafayette Cemetery near Brock.
Nemaha Underground Railroad Nemaha ~ Nemaha was a station for the Underground Railroad for smuggling slaves to the north. Many were ferried across the river, hid in attics of local sympathizers by day, and headed to the north by night. There are two documented sites by the Nebraska Historical Society and documented in Nemaha County. One site is located in Nemaha, and the other is north of Nemaha near Brownville.
Methodist Church ~ Features native brick and a cornerstone laid in 1890. It still houses weekly Sunday Services.
Peru Cemetery – Mount Vernon ~ The observation point features a Tri-State identity of Nebraska, Missouri and Iowa. The genealogy information is kept at the Peru Museum. 402-872-5865 (email@example.com).
Peru State College ~ What began as Nebraska’s first college in 1867, a teacher training school with one building and 60 students, has transformed over the past 145 years into a state-of-the-art institution offering diverse, multifaceted educational programs to students from around the world. www.peru.edu
Arbor Lodge State Historical Park ~ 2300 2nd Ave. Situated on 72 acres of wooded, rolling hills, Arbor Lodge mansion, home of J. Sterling Morton (founder of Arbor Day), features more than 300 varieties of lilacs, a terraced garden, whispering bench and walking trails. Park grounds are open year round. Mansion open seasonally. Admission. State Park Permit required. (402) 873-7222 www.ngpc.state.ne.us
Farmer’s Bank & Trust Company ~ 202 S 8th St. Arguably the most beautiful of Nebraska City’s 300 properties on the National Register of Historic Places, this bank began its service in 1886 as the Nebraska City Post Office. Visitors are welcome during business hours.
Mayhew Cabin with John Brown’s Cave ~ 2012 4th Corso. National Park Service Underground Railroad Network to Freedom site. Visitors can tour the cabin, escape tunnel “cave” and other exhibits. Open May-Oct. and by appointment. Admission. (402) 873-3115 www.mayhewcabin.org
Otoe County Courthouse ~ 1021 Central Ave. Completed in 1865, this is the oldest public building still in use in Nebraska. The building, including wall murals, is fully restored.
Wildwood Historic Home & Art Gallery ~ 420 Steinhart Park Rd. Ten-room Victorian home, built by Nebraska City banker, contains hundreds of historical pieces. Costumed guided tours give you insight into the lifestyle of the period. Regional artists are showcased in the Art Barn on property. Seasonal hours. Admission to house. (402) 873-6340www.wildwoodhistoriccenter.org
Harold Lloyd Home ~ In the 1920s, silent-movie star Harold Lloyd thrilled audiences with his hair-raising stunts. The actor’s boyhood home is now a museum that allows visitors to view Lloyd’s many movies. Call 402-865-4665 or 402-865-4725 for a tour. PawneeCountyNebraska.com
ZCBJ Lodge Hall ~ Stop at the ZCBJ Lodge Hall near DuBois and admire this one-of-a-kind architecture. This Czech social hall is on the National Historic Register. Dances are held on some Saturday nights with other activities at other times.
The commercial district of Pawnee City, comprised primarily of late 19th and early 20th century buildings, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Courthouse in the square dominates the view and reflects, along with the picturesque storefronts, that minimal alteration has occurred to the city’s historic charm. Pick up a self-guided touring map at the Tourism office.
A Pedal Clinic ~ More than 450 pedal cars, tractors, airplanes and other toys are displayed at The Pedal Clinic at Hwy. 8 and I Street. Tours are by appointment only. (402) 852-2655
Richardson County Cemeteries ~ There are 57 burial sites in Richardson County, according to the Tri-State Corners Genealogical Society. For more details, go to usgennet.org/usa/ne/county/richardson.
Mini-Park Murals ~ Three hand-painted murals hang at the Mini-Park in Falls City, summarizing the town’s history from its beginning through the mid-1980s. Local artists describe how the town got its name, and some of the landmarks of early settlers are drawn. A printed review of the murals is available.
The Humboldt Commercial Historic District was placed on the National Register in 2005, with the Nebraska Historical Marker placed in the Northeast corner of the City Park. The Humboldt City Square has been revitalized with historic lighting, a painted mural that illustrates the history and heritage of Humboldt, pedestrian amenities, complete new sidewalks with handicap accessibility and the original brick re-laid. ci.humboldt.ne.us
Humboldt Mural ~ The Humboldt mural illustrates the history and heritage of Humboldt and depicts all the pomp and pageantry of the Richardson County Fair, complete with a marching band, flags, horses, fair queens, and tractors.
Rulo ~ The Iron Monument (6 mi. S.E. of Rulo). The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 used the monument as a marker to map out the location of the first eight Nebraska counties and to measure the distances to bordering states. Steps lead to the monument, located 150 feet atop a bluff. The monument is engraved with Nebraska on the north, Kansas on the south, the year 1854 on the east, and 40 degrees latitude on the west side. (402) 245-3481
Havlat Marker ~ An historical marker is located at 1445 State Highway 33 in honor of PFC Charley Havlat, who was the last soldier to be killed in WWII.
Crete Historic Buildings ~ Several historic properties in Crete are on the National Register of Historic Places, including the College HIll Historic District, Doane College, Jess C. Bickle House, Frank J. Rademacher House, Johnston/Muff-Algermissen House, and the Trinity Memorial Episcopal Church. The Bickle House, The Maples, and Boswell Observatory on the Doane College Campus are museums open to the public, with tours by appointment. Contact the Crete Chamber of Commerce at 402-826-2136 or email to CreteChamber@neb.rr.com. Also visit CreteSokol.org and CreteChamber.org.
Tuxedo Park Marker ~ An historical marker for Nebraska Chautauquas is located in Tuxedo Park on the west edge of Crete. the park hosts the annual Saline County Fair each July. To use the camping facilities or fair buildings, call 402-826-4787.
DeWitt (Swan City) Marker ~ Like other communities in Saline County, DeWitt is more than 140 years old. The town was formerly named Swan City, which appears on an historical marker at Nebraska highway 103, two miles northeast of DeWitt.
Pleasant Hill Marker ~ Dorchester was named when the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad was naming towns west of Lincoln according to the alphabet. East of Dorchester on County Road HH is an historical marker dedicated to the small village of Pleasant HIll.
Tabor Lodge ~ Located five miles south of Dorchester, is a Czech social hall that was organized in 1899 by fourteen Czechs who perceived a need for a place of fellowship. The hall, named for the village of Tabor in Czechoslovakia, Tabor Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The lodge remains active with wedding receptions, dances, and meetings, and it has hosted an antique plowing bee in July for the last few years. Call 402-826-2595.
Warren Opera House ~ The Friend Historical Society began restoring the Warren Opera House, located at 511 2nd Street, in 2006. The Society’s 3,200-square-foot party room is located next door. The San Carlo Room is available for rent and also hosts cultural performance events to the area. 402-730-0276
Schnyder Marker ~ The tiny Historical Museum, located in the old bank building in Tobias, and the library located in the old print shop, can be toured by calling 402-243-2356 or by calling the City Clerk at 402-243-2319. An historical marker for Sgt. Leodegar Schnyder is located on Nebraska Highway 74 at the northeast corner of Tobias.
Saline Center ~ This social hall is located nine miles north of Western on Highway 15. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places due to its role in the assimilation of Czech immigrants into American culture. Constructed in the later 1930s, it still hosts weddings, dances, meetings, and a large annual consignment auction. Call 402-641-2617.
Hotel Wilber ~ The jewel in Wilber’s Czech crown is Hotel Wilber, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1895, it has been maintained with ongoing restoration as recently as 2011. The Victorian structure is modernized with twelve antique-furnished rooms to rent year round and offers a bed-and-breakfast atmosphere. For reservations, call 402-821-2020.
Sokol Hall ~ An integral part of the annual Czech festival, Sokol Hall, located at 317 S. Wilson Street, is available for meetings, dances, reunions, and celebrations. It also houses a mini museum of Czech Sokol athletic historic items. 402-821-2690
Wilber Czech Cemetery ~ Formerly known as the Bohemian-Slovakian Cemetery, the site is located one mile west of Wilber on Hwy 41. A new brick shelter offers information to locate graves.
Wilber Marker: Czech Capital of Nebraska ~ Wilber features one historical marker, located at the junction of Nebraska Highways 103 and 41 downtown, which depicts Wilber as the Czech Capital of Nebraska.
Bellevue Pioneer Cemetery ~ 13th Avenue & Lord Blvd. Tour cemetery for history lessons through time. View resting places of families who pioneered Bellevue. Among those buried here are Fenner Ferguson, first chief justice, Nebraska Territory; Big Elk, prominent chief of the Omaha tribe; and archaeologist and artist Dr. Gilder. Tour information (402) 293-3142.
Fontenelle Bank ~ 2212 Main Street. Built in 1857, Fontenelle Bank houses Bellevue memorabilia an original walk-in vault and provides exhibits depicting the city’s history and rare samples of Greek-Revival Italianate styling. A year after the bank’s founding, it closed and became the Sarpy County Courthouse and, in 1875, Bellevue City Hall. Tour information (402) 293-3142.
Bellevue Log Cabin ~ Located at 1805 Hancock Street is a treasure of history. This cabin is believed to have been built from hand-hewn cottonwood around 1835. The home changed hands a few times with three families occupying it from 1856 to 1950. Most recent residents lived there for around 50 years without indoor plumbing or electricity. For tour information, call (402) 293-3142.
Omaha and Southern Railroad Depot ~ 2402 Clay Street. In the mid 1800s, this depot was a hub for commerce and travel. Inside, discover a pot belly cast iron stove, Morse code telegraph keys, an oak railroad station clock, oak station waiting benches, trunks, maps, pictures and a station safe. Tour information, (402) 293-3142.
Old Presbyterian Church ~ Built in 1856, the church is located at 2002 Franklin Street. Step inside this historic building and you’re standing in the oldest church building in the state of Nebraska. Nineteenth-century oak pews, antique stained-glass windows and summer gardens adorn the 150-year-old building. Tour information, (402) 293-3142.
Holy Family Shrine ~ The glass shrine is situated on 23 acres overlooking I-80 and the Platte Valley at 23132 Pflug Road, Gretna. 402-332-4565 hfsgretna.org
Portal School ~ This 1890 one-room schoolhouse is complete with desks and books. Located at 242 N Jefferson Street. Call 402-547-2021.
Sautter House ~ This house, located at 242 N Jefferson Street, was built in 1860 and is a story-and-a-half wood-framed structure with ballast walls. Call 402-547-2021 for a tour.
Bruning Opera House ~ Constructed in 1907, the opera house now serves the area as a community hall and library. It has also housed a movie theater, dance hall, community plays, and school activities, from basketball to graduation.
Chester Auditorium ~ Build in 1938-39 as a WPA project, the Chester Auditorium is home to many different plays throughout the year.
“Little Boy Blue” Monument ~ Chester is home of the “Little Boy Blue” monument. This community found a boy’s body, dressed only in blue pajamas, on the highway on a cold, snowy night. He had been abandoned by his father. The community named the boy “Matthew, gift of God,” gave him a funeral and his final resting ground. The monument is located where you enter Chester at the junction of Hwy. 81 & Hwy. 8. Matthew is buried at the cemetery on the east side of Hwy. 81 north of Chester.
Old County School ~ District 44, Loontjer School, had no desks at first; students sat on planks. Located west of Deshler, approximately 1/4 of a mile on Hwy 136.
Pony Express Monument ~ Located approximately 5 miles north of Deshler on Highway 5, turn west and travel 2 miles.
Rock School ~ A limestone school named the Rock School, District 17, and the Coordsen School in later years, is located northeast of Gilead. It was built in 1873. From Highway 136, go north 2 miles on Highway 53, then west ½ mile. The school was built with native rock obtained from the surrounding hills.
CCC and POW Camp Marker ~ Located at Holdrege Ave. and 10th. Street, this marker is near the site of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, which became a prisoner of war camp during World War II.
Thayer County Courthouse ~ Located in Hebron, the courthouse was constructed of Indiana limestone in the Romanesque and Gothic style in 1903. There are floor-to-ceiling safes located in each major office with a different artistic work painted on each safe door. Ask about the four carved faces found on the outside of the building and hear the story of the mystery related to the carvings.
Hebron Post Office Mural ~ Painted by Miss Eldora Lorenzini in 1939, the work was commissioned as part of the New Deal’s Public Works of Art Project and the WPA Federal Art Project, which employed thousands of artists during the Great Depression. Twelve murals for 12 newly constructed post offices in Nebraska were commissioned, including the one in Hebron. The work has a double signature from the artist. After it was hung, the signature was nearly obscured by the molding of the frame of the office door. The artist then signed the mural in the lower left-hand corner, where it may be seen by the viewer.
Oregon Trail and Pony Express Monuments ~ Located 2 miles north of Hebron on Highway 81. The Pony Express re-rides the trail yearly.
Sixth Principal Meridian Marker ~ Southeast of Hubbell is the point where all land in Nebraska and Kansas, and most land in Colorado and Wyoming and parts of South Dakota were surveyed and subdivided. The marker is a survey monument located at the quadripoint of Republic and Washington counties in Kansas and Thayer and Jefferson counties in Nebraska. From Hubbell, follow Nebraska Highway 8 to the Thayer/Jefferson County line and turn south and travel four miles. The original sandstone monument was six feet tall. US Deputy Surveyor Charles A. Manners set the monument in 1856. It was later buried under a county roadbed and unearthed (and reburied) twice before being dug up for good in 1986. Its midsection is, however, now missing.